I actually don’t think there’s all that much to say about him since he’s pretty straightforward. I was quite excited for him though, so here’s my initial impression:
- Elements: wood/fire – Obvious Verdandi applications. In addition to giving the team a huge HP boost, Susano’s damage shield helps combat Verdandi’s RCV problems for a few turns.
- Types: physical/dragon – Physical type is particularly important for wood as it has the worst selection of quality high-HP monsters in the game; now it has two with Meimei. Dragon type is somewhat archaic for wood, but that allows him to fit on teams like GSonia and GGY. The lack of attacker type is unfortunate as he can’t sub on Summer GSonia and he’ll miss out on GZL’s damage enhance.
- Awakenings – While I’m not a fan of bind immunity since it takes two slots, the rest of Susano’s awakenings are quite good. I wasn’t necessarily expecting a second TPA; it’s both a blessing and a curse since his ATK is fairly low. The additional skill boost is key — especially for wood teams — and more fingers are always nice. The only real weakness is a lack of a skill bind resist.
- Active skill – While I was originally hoping for something closer to Baggi or Phoenix Rider for the uptime, this updated skill will have plenty of situations where it’s better; haste is just that good. There are some situations where the original’s longer duration will be missed, but I think the benefits more than make up for it.
- Leader skill – Don’t sleep on this leader skill. The other Susanos resist 20-25% and while his awoken form may not resist that much, even 10-15% would be pretty good. He can also make interesting pairings with other leads.
- Other thoughts:
- Susano really didn’t need the buff, but need obviously doesn’t play a factor in deciding what receives buffs next. The awoken Chinese and lack of awoken Norse are prime examples of this.
- Going infinite with the damage shield was also a possibility with the old Susano, but a) the extra skill boost and lower cooldown means it can be ready turn one, b) the improved leader skill means he could possibly lead instead of taking up three of your four sub slots and c) the haste means you can charge actives for your burst turns that much quicker.
- I have three Susanos. They’re all max skilled, but it will be a no-brainer to wake at least two of them up and I could possibly do all three. I guess it’s time to start farming Woodpys again. Sigh.
- Japanese 1 is now worth rolling in just on the merits Kagutsuchi and Susano and Orochi is incoming soon. I’m actually pretty excited for the eventual Awoken Yomi and Amaterasu.