It’s been a while since the last update, but there’s finally enough changes to warrant a post. Sadly, there still isn’t all that much to talk about. As usual, there were a few stealth changes that they failed to log.
The New Dragonbounds
I don’t think there’s any surprise they made the list as subs. Just a superficial look at their abilities easily puts them in the same league in terms of raw power as the Chinese and they’re generally better than the Norns. Outside of the skill bind resists, they’re essentially the best of both the Chinese and the Norns. Ryuune has the advantage of being in the element that has the easiest time making up for the lack of an SBR.
However, in the context of the teams they fit on, I’m not sure their grades are justified. Ryuune is a good sub for the S-tier lead Neptune Dragon, but does she have enough of an edge over Karin to justify being a tier higher? Saria doesn’t even have the luxury of subbing for an S-tier lead, the best being Ilm at A+. Their A+ grade is fine, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they get downgraded unless some better teams for them emerge. They’re good subs for themselves, though, which leads me to…
I don’t understand why they didn’t make the leader list. The I&I/Ryuune pair and Thor/Saria pair are at least as good as Beelzebub/Sonia. They’re also capable of clearing the Ultimate Arena:
- Ryuune/I&I: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRDzTrxaa-M
- Saria/Saria: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jACu7ajipk4
- Saria/Thor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf3ux-fmVag
As far as I’m aware, Beelzebub/RSonia aren’t capable of that. In my personal experience they can’t even reliably clear Challenge Dungeons Lv10s anymore. Either they need to be taken off the leader list or Ryuune and Saria need to be added, or both.
The Rise of Yomi Dragon
Yomi Dragon was underestimated by everyone, including myself, as soon as it was revealed, but the addition of a skill bind resist boosted it to elite levels. While it doesn’t have the offensive awakenings like some of its predecessors, the utility it brings is unparalleled; even by Odin Dragon who was clearly made to fulfill a support role. Yomi Dragon is the only MP Dragon that is both great as a leader and a sub, thus making it one of the best MP values in the game.
Levi Debuts at A+
Like Yomi Dragon, Levi also got an added skill bind resist which boosted him from a decent leader to a great one. I don’t see many Ultimate Arena clears on YouTube, but he’s definitely capable of doing so. Outside that, I don’t think there’s all that much to say as he clearly has all the elements of a good leader. When compared to the stronger members out of the Egypt 2s, he has a better active, better awakenings and a higher ATK multiplier. His sub pool is more restricted as it’s type-based instead of element-based, but the selection is surprisingly good.
As Halloween Kali is basically the same thing, we should expect to see her in a similar position on the leader list the next time they update it.
Stealth Sub List Changes
I don’t think any of these changes are surprising, except maybe Trunks.
- Gadius – I don’t think he’s a coveted sub for any of the leaders on their list, so this seems justified.
- Trunks – As Lakshmi falls out of favor, it follows that Trunks should as well. I’d also assume the Ryuune-Hatsume or Amberjack combo preempts the Skuld-Trunks combo.
- Ishida and Artemis – I never really understood why they were ranked where they were. Even considering Gon, there’s not much use for wood rows.
- Amaterasu – Both forms were downgraded which I feel is justified as bind clearers just aren’t valuable subs anymore. Her fire uevo is still critical for Cloud System teams and her awoken is just plain good, but neither of them are necessary for S-tier teams like Awoken Isis, thus the lower grades.
- Summer Pandora – Considering that the elite dark teams already shit out damage without TPAs, grading her the same as the original form is no surprise.
Should Be On the List
This will probably be a regular section in these posts going forward. I’ll also cover removals as well as upgrades and downgrades if there’s nothing that I think should be added.
Did I miss something? Please leave a comment and let me know!