I’m going to save my opinions on the new cards for my REM review. However, GungHo has left the door open to speculate on the nature of the REM itself:
- So far they’ve revealed six four-stars, zero five-stars, two six-stars, two seven-stars, and two eight-stars.
- What does zero five-stars mean? I speculated that they would once again run a pantheon in the five-star slot, but I was hoping I was wrong. Skipping an entire rarity seems unlikely.
- What does two eight-stars mean? Does this mean we get two MP Shop additions?
- I’m used to REMs having a rarity pyramid or something close to it. Maybe they still have more announcements? God forbid they add filler.
- Last night’s reveal of the eight-stars seems to make things pretty final, at least as far as Christmas-themed cards are concerned. I was waiting for an official post to outline the contents of the REM, but it never came. I guess that leaves the door open for more on-theme announcements, but I’m not getting my hopes up.
- The reveal of uevo Christmas Sakuya opens the door for future special REM cards like Isis, Athena or Metatron to get uevos in the future. It would’ve been easier for them to just tweak the cards like they did with Genie as this creates the expectation of uevos and new art in the future. It should be interesting to see how they handle uevos for cards like Athena that already have a cosmetic one; my guess is they probably won’t.
- I don’t know what I was expecting, but everything just seems so boring. Color swaps and rehashes are so lazy. At least Athena and Pandora had different awakenings. I guess this is just the nature of special REMs as they’re (rightly) afraid to push the power creep through them. Sadly, none of the Christmas art really does anything for me so there’s not much for me to look forward to on that front, either.
- Before the new Christmas cards, the on-theme special REM card distribution was:
- Fire – 0
- Water – 5 (School Isis, Summer: Metatron, Urd, Chester, Awilda)
- Wood – 2 (School Athena, Summer GSonia)
- Light – 3 (School Lucifer, Christmas: Sakuya, Genie)
- Dark – 9 (Summer: Claire, Pandora, Halloween: HKali, BSonia, Vampire, Alraune, Laila, Izanami, Thoth & Sopdet)
- Why the hell is dark even in this REM? Not only does dark have the most, it also has two 8-stars in Claire and HKali who also happen to be the two best special REM cards after RKali. Dark being represented in a Christmas event of all things seems wrong. If they were going to do a Chinese god, it should’ve been Leilan since she produces the Christmas colors.
- At least fire got some love this time, but I was thinking they could’ve made up the deficit with a Valentine’s Day event. I guess that holiday can be both fire and light, but what about wood?
- Sonia, not Kali, is the MP Shop monster. Sucks!
- No five-stars, no filler!