I was searching for the day when my blog officially started, but I couldn’t find a satisfactory date. The earliest post (fittingly about +eggs) was imported from my now defunct tumblr on 12/8/14, but that’s more likely the post date that was set by the import tool rather than the day it was added to the blog. What I would consider my first actual post was on 1/23/15, but rather than be bogged down by the specifics of a rather meaningless date, “about a year” is good enough. So, in the spirit of the New Year, I’ll take this chance to look back on what was and also look forward to the future.
For better or worse, there really isn’t much to reflect on as far as the past. I did exactly what I had set out to do: post about whatever I felt like. The surprising thing was the amount of viewers; I never would have expected to get even a tenth of the views I’m currently getting. It’s great motivation and I thank everyone for their support. Despite my surprising “success”, things must change and I’m looking to increase the efficiency of my posting.
Going forward, I’m going to continue the following post types:
- Farmable monster analysis
- Collab REM reviews
- JP tier list (Game8)
- Weekly roundup
- Salt and brag posts (obviously)
I’m looking to find a better way to do the JP tier list posts, but I’m definitely going to keep doing them.
I’m thinking of revamping, reducing or discontinuing the following types:
- Challenge teams – NA’s Challenge Dungeon schedule is so far behind the monster releases that there’s really no challenge anymore. If there’s a particularly difficult floor, I may just make a video for it instead of making this post.
- S-ranks – These have already been phased out for the most part. With Halloween Thoth & Sopdet, S-ranks are trivial now.
- Farming and skill up numbers – With +egg farming moving to 100% drop rates (10x, Thieves’ Den), me losing interest in posting skill up numbers (mostly due to Pys) and Arena farming being fairly trivial now, the only real farming numbers that matter to me are collabs and invades.
- Godfest reviews – I’ve thought about discontinuing godfest reviews for a while now. Over time it became very difficult to write anything of substance about the same few pantheons every couple of weeks. I may cut out the analysis altogether and just use the posts as a platform to answer user questions as I think that’s what most people got out of those posts.
In turn, I’m hoping cutting these types of posts or minimizing the work needed on them will give me the opportunity to work on more time-intensive posts like my Ra Dragon Arena guide (which is turning out to be a lot more work than I thought) and team building posts.
I’m looking to streamline the blogging process to reduce the amount of time doing busy work while also adding more dynamic content. However, both of these things are impossible to do with WordPress’s free hosting option as custom scripting and CSS are disabled. This basically means I’ll have to find my own hosting option which means the site would start costing me money out of pocket. I’m a bit reluctant to do this. I could run ads to help cover expenses (I receive no money from the ads currently on the site, for those wondering), but as a hater of ads I wanted to avoid this at all costs. I’m still weighing the pros and cons and considering other alternatives, but any changes probably won’t happen for a few months.
I’m also considering stepping up the production value of my videos a bit, but that’s a very low priority right now. For now, I’m going to stick with the following video types:
- REM rolls
- New dungeon clears
- Challenge Lv10 clears
I’ve thought about expanding my video content, but that’s a level of work I’m not ready to commit to. I’m pretty satisfied with keeping my videos overly simple for now.
All things being said, I don’t expect things to change too much, especially from a reader standpoint. This site is and will continue to be a hobby and I’ll continue it as long as it’s fun.